Q: Stuck in Park

asked by on February 09, 2016

The gearshift is stuck in park.

Car does not shift from park to drive Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

The gear shifter is held in park as a safety feature. If the brake pedal isn’t fully depressed, the lock will not disengage and allow the hear shifter to move. On most gear shifters there are small holes that lead to a manual release which can be pressed with a normal screw driver. If the brake pedal sensor is malfunctioning, the gear shifter lock system won’t see that the pedal is depressed and won’t disengage. A proper inspection of your shifters should be carried out by a technician to get you going again.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr