Q: Brakes wear out fast. 1996 GMC C2500

My GMC seems to wear out brakes so fast. It has 150,500 miles on it, and the last time I had brake work done was at 20,500 miles. This is the 6th time I've had major brake work done on the truck. This time it’s the pads and rotors that need replacing. Last time it was the calipers, pads and rotators. I'm an easy driver and wonder how I can make the pads and rotors last longer. This time the tech noticed that the calipers weren't retracting and this was the reason the rotors were getting hot spots. I feel a wobble in the front when I apply the brakes. Do you have any advice on how I can make my brakes last longer before I have to replace them again?

Hello there. It does sound like your 1996 GMC C2500 has gone through an excessive amount of brake components. There are a few things that can cause premature brake component failure. Sticking calipers and wheel cylinders are the most common. These cause rotors and drums to drag and this creates too much heat. This heat causes the rotors and drums to warp, which leads to the wobble feeling when the brakes are applied.

Once the rotors and drums are warped, they need to either be turned on a lathe to return them back to specifications if they are above minimum thickness, or they will need to be replaced for new ones. Once all of these things are taken care of, then changing the brake fluid may help with this brake part wear as well. If you need help having this all scoped out, a professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the brake system and perform the needed repairs.