Q: 1992 Honda Accord cooling fans not operating properly.

Cooling fan/condenser fan not operational under normal conditions (car is turned on, neither fan engages under any circumstance). As follows:

• Power applied directly to either fan from battery with alligator clips causes either fan to spin. • Fuses functioning (test light confirmation) #2, #39, #8. • Cooling fan relay disconnected, jumped terminal #2 and #4 with paperclip, cooling fan operates (whether the car is on or not). • No voltage present between terminals #1 and #3 with car in on position and A/C on. • Applying ground to terminal #1 causes the condenser fan to engage and spin. • 5.03v deteced on ECT sensor A (closest to firewall, next to thermostat). • 12.28v detected on ECT sensor B (closest to bumper, next to upper hose). • Jumping ECT sensor A with paperclip (near thermostat) yields no result, car on or off. • Jumping ECT sensor B with paperclip (near bumper) engages cooling fan only after the car is turned off.

Thank you for your assistance.

Hi there. Your issue is the ECT sensor B is not closing the loop when engaged. There is power to the sensor A from the computer, but the sensor B is not connecting when the vehicle is running hot or when the air conditioning is on. I recommend replacing the ECT sensor B, which is the on and off switch for the cooling fans. On the relay, terminals 2 and 4 are the direct circuit for the cooling fan, terminal 1 is the ground, and terminal 3 is for the circuit to the air conditioning system. Check the wiring between the fuse box and the terminal 3 for resistance and see if there is 0.5 ohms or less. If the meter reads OL, then there is a break in the wires and it would need fixed or replaced. If there is 0.5 ohms of resistance or less, then check the A/C switch and the ignition switch as they could be the source of disconnection. If you need further assistance with your cooling fans not working, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. 1992 Honda Accord cooling fans not operating properly.