Q: Codes P0016 and P0017

At first, scanner showed codes p0017 and p0016. We changed the fuel pump and codes erased but car was completely dead so we changed the spark plugs and got a new battery. The check engine light is still on and car still shuts off after starting the ignition. But the scanner no longer shows any codes.

Hi There, Code P0017 relates to the crankshaft position sensor. A crankshaft position sensor is an electronic device used to monitor the position or rotational speed of the crankshaft. This information is used by engine management systems to control the fuel injection or the ignition system timing and other engine parameters. When this is faulty or not working properly, this will cause problems with the ignition system and generating spark transmission to the spark plugs resulting in starting problems and other performance issues such as having trouble staying running as you have indicated.

Code P0016 relates to the camshaft position sensor which works similarly to the crankshaft position sensor, but monitors the rotational speed of the camshaft. The camshaft position sensor is a magnetic sensor that monitors camshaft speed to regulate ignition timing and fuel injection timing. It gathers and sends information about the car’s camshaft speed to the car’s electronic control module. This information is used by the computer to further calculate the time of ignition and the timing of fuel injection required by the engine. When this is not working properly, you may experience a drop in power, poor idling, poor fuel mileage and problems starting the vehicle. As the sensor begins to fail and gets worse over time as the signal it provides to the computer weakens. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your camshaft position sensor.

3. Codes P0016 and P0017