Q: Engine knocking 1999 Dodge Ram 1500

asked by on November 18, 2016

i check the oil and water before driving my truck and this morning i was driving about 2 to 3 miles down the road and i start hearing a knocking in the bottom of the engine at the tranmission and it is running ruff and skipping i got up to 45 mph and everythings start shaking

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello - your description may cover multiple issues. The engine misfire could be caused by bad spark plugs, coils or even a fuel supply problem The knocking noise may well be a worn or damaged connecting rod or crankshaft bearing. The misfire would make a worn bearing situation worse. Check the engine oil level first to be sure the engine has an adequate oil supply. I would recommend an inspection of the engine knock (since that symptom may represent on-going damage to the engine) by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.