Q: How often to change oil and oil filter?

Want to make sure my car is prepared for a long healthy life: how often should I change oil and oil filter and what is the best oil for my vehicle's engine?

A: In today’s vehicles, the majority of cars a...

In today’s vehicles, the majority of cars are able to go between 5,000-6,000 miles between oil changes depending on the health of the car’s engine and assuming you are using a quality oil. For some, this is a matter of personal preference and peace of mind and they prefer to change it more frequently around 3,000-4,000 miles.

The type of oil for your engine depends largely on the driving conditions and the driving habits of the driver as well as the environment in which the car regularly drives. If the car is subjected to extreme weather conditions such as very cold weather, you will want to use a thinner viscosity oil. Cold weather causes oil to move very slowly which can be crucial on your car’s engine especially when starting first thing in the morning. It is important to use an oil that will flow more freely at colder temperatures.

On the other hand, in extremely hot weather, oil will break down much quicker causing it to lose it’s protective qualities while lubricating moving engine parts. You will want to use a thicker viscosity oil in extremely warm temperatures to ensure the oil is sufficiently thick to coat and lubricate moving engine components properly.

If you need assistance with maintaining your car, I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home or office to perform an oil change service to be sure you have the proper oil in your car for your situation.