Q: Q: Loud squeaky noise when starting the car

Car makes this loud squeaky noise when started and it does not stop. I was told it could be a pulley. About how much is that to repair?

Hello. This noise could be an idler pulley for the accessory/serpentine belt, or it could be the water pump bearing failing. In either case, a failure will almost certainly be immediate, and repair should be made immediately. A failed belt can cause overheating within a minute (because it drives the water pump), and a failed water pump will have the same result. So it will depend which part is determined to be faulty to give you an accurate estimate. If you would like to have this checked by a professional, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the noise and follow through with the right repairs. You can also enter your vehicle information on our estimator page to get quote for certain services you’re interested in.

3. Q: Loud squeaky noise when starting the car