Q: Car jerking uncontrollably, trouble accelerating, rough idle, cylinder 1 misfire code

My car has been jerking/shaking uncontrollably when accelerating. It shakes until I reach a point, and then stops for a few seconds and starts again. It idles rough at stop lights and has a hard time getting up to speed. The check engine light flashes when the car is shaking as well. When the code is pulled, it reads cylinder 1 misfire, but I've had the plugs and wires checked, and those are not the problem. The shaking does not start right as I begin driving, so I don't believe it is a fuel injector. I do smell a strong gas odor as of recently. Please offer me any type of advice/what may be causing this problem. Thank you!

Engine misfires can be caused by many different problems, but there are a few suspects that occur more than others. Generally, misfires are caused by either a spark or fuel issue or in cases, a combination of both. Spark related problems generally will result from things like ignition coils, crankshaft position sensor, spark plugs, spark plug wires or ignition modules not working properly. When the misfire results from a fuel related issue, this is commonly related to a lean fuel condition (lack of sufficient fuel supply to the motor). Fuel related misfires can be caused by many different things such as low fuel pressure, faulty or dirty fuel injectors, a faulty O2 sensor, a dirty or failing mass air flow sensor, a faulty or dirty idle air control valve or a vacuum or intake leak. When the fuel supplied to the combustion chamber is insufficient, this results in an ignition (spark) that is igniting a less than balanced load of fuel and air. This results in a misfire or an explosion in the cylinder that is much less powerful than the other cylinders. This creates a loss of power that resonates throughout the motor additionally causing other problems with ignition and fuel timing. Due to the number of different things that may cause an engine misfire, the quickest and easiest way to diagnose this type of problem is to hook the vehicle up to a scanning tool which will download any potential fault codes that may have registered in the vehicle’s computer as a result of the poor running condition. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your misfiring problem.

3. Car jerking uncontrollably, trouble accelerating, rough idle, cylinder 1 misfire code