Q: Loss of power to driver's side door, plus grinding sound from front left of car.

I hear a grinding sound coming from the front left. Also, no power to the driver's side door.

A: Looks like we have two separate issues happ...

Looks like we have two separate issues happening to your Volkswagen Jetta. With such limited information it is difficult to determine where exactly the grinding could be coming from in your Jetta. The questions I would first ask are if this grinding sound happens consistently or does it happen at specific times, such as when applying the brakes or when turning? Grinding sounds can be the result of brakes that have worn out completely. Bad wheel bearings can also make this sound. This is a case where I would highly recommend having a certified mechanic inspect your vehicle for the noise. They will be able to test drive your Jetta, allowing them to listen for the noise. They will also be able to inspect your brakes and suspension systems for possible noise makers, determining exactly what is causing the grinding noise you are hearing on the left side.

In regards to the driver’s door not having power, it would be recommended to have a trained professional use his diagnostics tools and knowledge to diagnose why your door doesn’t have power. Often times there could be problems with the wires there.