Q: How can I best research the cause of smelling burnt oil from under the hood after drives over 20 miles?

The car has had regular oil changes and inspections without an engine problem yet. Last 30-point inspection was at the dealership about 5 months ago.

If oil from the engine compartment is vaporizing, due to high heat, or "burning", the source of the leak is typically near or onto the hot exhaust manifold(s). There is also a possibility of hydraulic fluid, such as power steering fluid and/or transmission fluid, leaking or sometimes spraying onto a hot manifold or even onto the exhaust downpipe. Leaks of this sort are, of course, very unhealthy (due to the vapors that get entrained in the air within the passenger cabin) and it is also a potential fire hazard depending on the seriousness of the leak. If you would like the origin of the leak(s) pinpointed, and the repair estimated, please request an oil leak/consumption diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will identify the root cause of the problem for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

• How can I best research the cause of smelling burnt oil from under the hood after drives over 20 miles?