Q: Car won't shift to higher gear when going uphill

asked by on November 21, 2017

Hi While driving on the freeway that is on my way to work I put the car into cruise control as I normally do and everything was fine.

When I reached an uphill strip of the road the car shifted into a lower gear and started to lose speed quickly and would not shift back to a higher gear even after I turned cruise control off and pressed on the accelerator and would not shift back to a higher gear (even when the rpm reached over 4000) until I reached the end of the uphill drive. This happened again on the same journey.

Is this just a sign of being low on transmission fluid? or something more serious? Thank you.

The loss of power can be from a clogged fuel filter or air filter or problems with computer sensors. You may also have transmissions issues also. I would recommend having a mechanic like one from YourMechanic check the filters and fluid levels and scan the computer for codes to determine the cause of the problem for you.