Q: Car won't shift to higher gear when going uphill

asked by on November 21, 2017

Hi While driving on the freeway that is on my way to work I put the car into cruise control as I normally do and everything was fine.

When I reached an uphill strip of the road the car shifted into a lower gear and started to lose speed quickly and would not shift back to a higher gear even after I turned cruise control off and pressed on the accelerator and would not shift back to a higher gear (even when the rpm reached over 4000) until I reached the end of the uphill drive. This happened again on the same journey.

Is this just a sign of being low on transmission fluid? or something more serious? Thank you.

The loss of power can be from a clogged fuel filter or air filter or problems with computer sensors. You may also have transmissions issues also. I would recommend having a mechanic like one from YourMechanic check the filters and fluid levels and scan the computer for codes to determine the cause of the problem for you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr