Q: One rear wheel warmer than the other, making scraping squeaking noise, started to vibrate when going faster

Hi, had a wheel bearing replaced at Firestone last week, which was a fiasco but they said it was done and safe. Driving tonight it was making kind of a scraping/squeaking noise periodically, and then after about ten minutes and going faster the noise got louder and the car seemed like it was vibrating. When I stopped the wheel in question was noticeably warmer than the other.

They mentioned they had a hard time getting my brakes back on when they did the bearing last week, (that was after having the first bearing fall apart when they thought they were done, they said they ordered the wrong one?). So anyway now is this a break problem, a wheel bearing problem, or both? Is it safe to drive?

Hey there. It sounds like the hub may not have been pressed all the way into the bearing on installation. It’s an easy mistake to make. Pressing in the hub takes a tremendous amount of force so it’s sometimes hard to know when it is fully seated. If that is the case, the job will have to be done over again. You really should have this looked at before you use the car anymore. It’s possible you could do more damage by driving it. Take the car back to that shop, or have another mechanical expert inspect the noise and make proper adjustments.

• One rear wheel warmer than the other, making scraping squeaking noise, started to vibrate when going faster