Q: When I lightly press my brake pedal I hear a knocking and my steering wheel shakes a little but if I press the brake pedal harder

When I am driving and I go to slow down by lightly pressing the brakes I get a knocking sound and the steering wheel shakes but if I press the pedal harder it stops knocking and the steering wheel stops shaking. It only does it when I lightly press the brakes.

Hi Roger. Thanks for submitting your question today. Quite often, what you are indicating is caused by a warped brake rotor, a failing master cylinder or misaligned brake pads. Vehicles with ABS can also experience this issue when there are problems with the ABS module, speed sensors or other components. Since there are multiple sources of these symptoms, a brake system inspection is recommended.

3. When I lightly press my brake pedal I hear a knocking and my steering wheel shakes a little but if I press the brake pedal harder