Q: Car shakes during acceleration and jerks to the right

My car has around 27,000 miles on it. The problem is when I drive at higher speeds, the car starts jerking to the right side as I accelerate. This happens on the highway as well as during driving around the city. My stick shift shakes so much and soon the whole car shakes.When I let go off the gas pedal, the shaking stops. Also, everything is fine in neutral. But, as soon as I accelerate, it starts again. The shaking stops after some time during the acceleration but happens yet again when I change gears. What could be the problem? Thanks.

If the engine shakes on acceleration even in neutral, then there is an imbalance in the rotating assembly of the engine. This could be caused by an engine peripheral such as an alternator or water pump or an issue with the pressure plate or flywheel.

The accessory drive belt would need to be removed and the engine accelerated to eliminate whether the shudder is caused by an engine accessory. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will be able to diagnose the source of the car’s shaking issue and make the correct repairs for you.

3. Car shakes during acceleration and jerks to the right