Q: My car will go into neutral while I am driving it. To get it to work again, I have to pull over, turn the car off, and restart a m

asked by on October 14, 2016

Car will just slip into neutral . Doesn't matter what gear it's in . Can only drive maybe 100 feet before it does that. Have to restart car for it to go into gear again and can go another 100 feet. Code said TCM was bad. We changed that and car still does it

Electrical components are not working Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Transmission fluid is leaking Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. Assuming you replaced the TCM (transmission control module) with a factory part, a transmission shift relearn procedure should have been performed. It could be that you have a TCM connector or wiring issue if the same code has returned.

Time needs to be spent to confirm the diagnoses. It could be you received a faulty TCM. A low transmission fluid level could cause the symptom of feeling like the transmission slips into neutral. The low transmission fluid level would allow the vehicle to move a short distance, until the filter could no longer pick up fluid.

When fluid drains back into the pan, the filter can again pick up the fluid until the fluid level goes below the filter. I recommend having the transmission slippage inspected and diagnosed by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.