Q: My Check Engine Light came on - 2011 Hyundai Accent

My light came on today while driving, felt like it slowed down a bit. I just bought this car 4 months ago. Is it safe to drive it until Friday when I can get it into a mechanic?

A: When the Check Engine Light comes on, it me...

When the Check Engine Light comes on, it means the engine controller has detected a fault in one of the sensor inputs and that the fault is bad enough to affect the emissions. Most cars have additional warning lights for the oil pressure and the temperature to indicate problems with those systems.

If you ever see any warning light, you should look under the hood, check the oil and coolant levels, and check to be sure the belts are intact. If those things check out, then a Check Engine Light doesn't necessarily mean you are stranded. If, however, the Check Engine Light starts blinking, it means the condition is severe enough to do damage to the catalyst and you need to stop right away.

A professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to scan and read the codes, determine why the Check Engine Light is on, and suggest needed repairs.