Q: 97 Camaro won't start and has security light on solid

I have a 1997 Camaro and my security light is on solid and the car won't start. I don't know what else to do.

A: On that Camaro, when security light comes o...

On that Camaro, when security light comes on and when it stays on solid, the car doesn’t start and that means you have a problem with the anti-theft system.

Look all through your hose, all your drawers, open and close them all and see if you’ve got another good known key. Maybe that key chip has just gone out and it’s not working anymore. But, if it’s not that, unfortunately you’re going to have to call a mechanic. You’re going to find that, with those anti-theft systems, you will need a dealer-level scan tool. You have to hook it up and find out what the codes are, and hope there is a code. If there isn’t a code, then you’ll need to do some intrusive, bi-directional testing. You’re going to need a scan tool like that to test all the parts to see what’s broken inside of it, because they are really complicated.

If you need help with this, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose your car’s starting issue and help you make the needed repairs to get you on the road again.