Why does my car have to turn over a couple times when it ...

Q: Why does my car have to turn over a couple times when it is mildly warm?

asked by on August 29, 2017

When I go to start my car when the temp gauge is halfway between normal operating temp and cold, the car always has to turn over for a while before it finally starts up, but once it starts the car runs completely normal. This only happens when the car is moderately warm, if it just got shut off it'll start right back up, or if it's the morning and the car is completely cold it starts right up too. But, if the car has been off for an hour or two and I go to start it back up, it always has to turn over for a while before starting up. Could this be a fuel pump issue or what? Thanks

You may have a problem with injector leakage. When the car has been running the fuel system stays pressurized for a few hours. When the injector valves are old, there may be a small amount of leakage at the tip when they are in the at rest (off) position. That leakage drips slowly into the intake and the vapor it produces accumulates in the intake. The result is that when you start the car hot, for the first few moments it has too much fuel and not enough air to start. After you spin it for a bit, air is drawn in to dilute the mixture and the engine starts. The reason it’s not a problem when the car is cold is that the engine requires additional fuel to start cold so it is getting just what it wants. Additionally, when you restart the hot car right away, the fuel hasn’t had time to drip and accumulate very much. A fuel pressure/ rest pressure test and maybe a visible inspection of the injectors is what is in order. To have this done at your convenience, you can contact your mechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to check out your hard starting problem and let you know what it will take to solve it.