Q: Gas doesn’t stop when I fill it, will overflow

I don’t know why I was so surprised when my 2006 Jeep Wrangler splashed gas all over me when I was topping off the tank. It got all over my clothes and then the interior smelled like gas for like a week after I drove home and changed. I was surprised that a modern vehicle would have a problem like that, it seems very avoidable. I know the Jeep is rugged but this issue is primitive for a car from 2006 with only 54,000 miles on it. What can I do to remedy this?

There are various number of issues that would cause problems with adding fuel to your Wrangler. To help with this issue, Jeep has issued a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 14-001-09 dated 09/01/2009, which outlines several steps to determine the fueling issue. A failed vent hose, or fill hose collapse are common in this model.

A certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can evaluate the fueling issue and follow the TSB steps to determine the failed part and repair as needed.

3. Gas doesn’t stop when I fill it, will overflow