Q: Gas doesn’t stop when I fill it, will overflow

asked by on November 04, 2015

I don’t know why I was so surprised when my 2006 Jeep Wrangler splashed gas all over me when I was topping off the tank. It got all over my clothes and then the interior smelled like gas for like a week after I drove home and changed. I was surprised that a modern vehicle would have a problem like that, it seems very avoidable. I know the Jeep is rugged but this issue is primitive for a car from 2006 with only 54,000 miles on it. What can I do to remedy this?

There are various number of issues that would cause problems with adding fuel to your Wrangler. To help with this issue, Jeep has issued a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 14-001-09 dated 09/01/2009, which outlines several steps to determine the fueling issue. A failed vent hose, or fill hose collapse are common in this model.

A certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can evaluate the fueling issue and follow the TSB steps to determine the failed part and repair as needed.