Q: My engine over heated while I was driving and won't crank up does this mean the engine has seized or locked up on me? 2006 Dodge Durango

asked by on March 20, 2017

I was driving and the truck over heated now it want crank has the engine seize or lock on me??

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi - if the engine spins over when you hit the starter, but just won’t start - then no, it likely has not seized up. Check the oil level to be sure you did not suffer major oil loss - this would be the prime cause of engine seizure. If oil level is close to the correct level, you may have simply overheated the engine, and have blown head gaskets. Blown head gaskets often result in very low compression on multiple cylinders - enough so that the engine won’t start, or produce much power at all. I recommend a engine inspection to determine how seriously it is damaged, performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr