Q: Engine stalls and now won’t start up

My 2009 Toyota stalled in a parking lot shortly after I turned it on yesterday and I couldn’t get it started again. I got it towed and apparently there is something wrong with the engine. It only has 76,000 miles on it. Is it normal for an engine to fail with that kind of mileage? Is there a possibility that the engine isn’t totally useless?

Unfortunately an engine can really fail at any time for any number of reasons regardless of what year or how many miles it has on it, but it for sure isn’t normal. Toyota has a number of things that can cause the issue you described, but without further information it’s impossible to know for sure. As for the viability of the engine, the only way to know for sure is to take it to a qualified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come out and diagnose why the vehicle is not starting to assess what the issue is and what can be done to repair it.

3. Engine stalls and now won’t start up