Q: car died while idling engine cranks but won't start, just barely replaced upstream oxygen sensor.

asked by on July 05, 2017

I had a check engine light of for a few weeks. Initially I thought that it was a problem with the engine speed sensor since my car would show erratic speed changes while driving on the freeway. I thought that since this is the only issue I could fix it later. I drove from Salt Lake City to Redmond. When I arrived I noticed that the speed indicator was working just fine without any issues. A new diagnostics test from Autozone revealed an issue with the upstream oxygen sensor. After replacing the upstream oxygen sensor I noticed that the check engine light came back on after just 1-2 miles. Another test from Autozone said that the issue was still the upstream oxygen sensor even though it was just replaced. Recently while driving my car my engine died while idling at a stop sign. I found that the engine would crank but it would not start. It is a 2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS sedan.

Car is hard to start Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. What you are describing in the diagnosis of your Hyundai’s issues is the major reason why auto part store diagnosis tends to be incorrect. When they complete a ’scan’ they simply download a code and make a general assumption of what it wrong. However, in most cases, the actual root source of a sensor ’code’ is the electrical harness or connection to the ECU causing the problem. This issue could be related to the O2 sensor, but it likely a problem with the harness or other component that the sensor monitors. I would recommend having a professional mechanic come to your location to diagnose the symptoms you’re having, by completing a hard to start inspection.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr