Q: Recently purchased car can't pass a smog check

We just bought the car two days ago and we plan on taking it on the road. Unfortunately, the dealership failed to inform us that they never did any of the maintenance, such as a tune-up, brakes checked, or changed any of the fluids. Most importantly, it won't pass a smog check because it misfires in the solenoid. The mechanic said he doesn't know what is wrong with it because the sensor bulbs for the Check Engine light are gone.

Hello! I would definitely advise having a basic inspection done before the vehicle is driven on a long trip. Any qualified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to inspect your misfiring issue and let you know if there is anything that needs immediate attention. The most common cause of an engine misfire is usually related to the spark plugs or wires. If the vehicle’s codes can not be read the cause might be that the DLC connector, where the codes are read from, has lost power. Generally this is due to a fuse that needs to be replaced.

3. Recently purchased car can't pass a smog check