Q: We have a 2003 ford explorer four door 4 wheel drive, the other day her son was backing up and said it felt like he hit something,

asked by on February 13, 2018

Our 03 explorer jumps while in gear, and we have no park. The transfer case is fully operational but the jumping gets worse when in 4 wheel and even more so when in 4 low, it was in rreverse when there was a loud band before this happened and now I can't figure out what wrong. It has a sealed trans so I can't check tranny fluid level

If the vehicle rolls in Park, and that problem is not caused by a cable adjustment or linkage failure, that likely means there is a broken mechanical component in the transmission. Often a parking pawl type arrangement is used and components can get broken. As far as the jumping, there are engine related versus transmission related causes of that and those causes (engine versus transmission) have to be distinguished in an actual diagnostic. To resolve something like this, it is best to request a transmission inspection/diagnostic. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will get this diagnosed and resolved, right at your location. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.