Q: How does the traction control system work?

asked by on December 15, 2015

How does the traction control system work?

While your car is equipped with the AdvanceTrac® system, it also includes a traction control system (TCS). It’s an automated system that turns on when you crank the engine, although you can turn it off using the TCS Off button on the dash. While you don’t have to do anything to make the system work, there are a few things you should know about how it operates:

• The system uses two methods to control wheel spin, and they can be used at the same time or separately:

• Engine traction control reduces engine power briefly to combat wheel spin
    • Brake traction control briefly applies the brakes to reduce wheel spin

Tips

• If the system is activated repeatedly during a short time, it may use only engine traction control to let the brakes cool off.

• If the brake traction control feature is off, it does not affect ABS operation or the Roll Stability Control (RSC) system.