Q: is it worth fixing the timing belt and timing pulleys?

asked by on August 11, 2016

I'm looking into buying a 2003 Passat but the owner now says it might need a new timing belt and timing pulleys. Is it worth the fix?

If the belt is broken or the engine is noisy and having problem, then no, it probably wouldn’t be worth purchasing. For whichever car that you are seriously considering moving forward with, I suggest having a certified mechanic conduct a pre-purchase inspection on the car so that you are not surprised about any faults that could arise with the car later. To have this done, a technician from YourMechanic can come to the location of the car that you’re interested in and give you a detailed report on its condition.