Q: Light in the roof leaks, really?

I now have water inside the dashboard of my 2008 Jeep Patriot from the map light on the roof leaking. I had problems with the lights on the roof, the map and dome lights, located on either side of the sunroof leaking but fixed them recently. Now I hear sloshing water in the dash. This seems bad. Where do I even start? I am worried I will have to write off a truck with 72,000 miles on it!

From your description, the water is apparently draining down from the roof area into your dashboard. So whereas you may have sealed the map and dome lights, the source of water entry evidently still exists and is just finding another area to drain into, your dash. Though you didn’t mention what was done to “fix” the previous leaks, I would recommend having the sunroof drain checked for blockage, and cleared as needed. I also recommend that the sunroof seal be replaced (if it hasn’t been done already). Both of these are common sources of water leakage on the Patriot.