Q: Vehicle overheated and messed up water pump

Last night while driving home, my vehicle overheated, with steam coming out of the engine, and the Check Engine light coming on. After letting it cool down, I put more water in it. It looked like water was leaking out of the water pump.

Car is overheating Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. The Check Engine Light came on due to the extreme temperature your vehicle reached. Your sensors will light up the Check Engine Light as a warning to shut off and cool the engine. A damaged water pump/ hoses can certainly cause a severe overheat. Have a mechanic such as one from YourMechanic diagnose the overheating issue correctly.