Q: Leak from pipes but can't locate, brakes not working unless pump them

Took it it kwikfit as brakes weren't working unless pumping the brake plus seems to grind, fluid leaking but couldn't see we're from as was all over the pipes, my car is a ford ka, the rep said it could be a problem with the pipes or could be more serious if it's the brain of the brake system, the brakes themselves are mint, I just need to know what the solution is

Unfortunately, the Ka is not available in the U.S. market so I have never encountered one. Brake hydraulics are fairly standard across the automotive world in principle, however. Having to pump the brake pedal indicates either a bad brake master cylinder or a leak in the system. However, if the system has been leaking, the master cylinder may have failed due to the leak and continued pumping of the brake pedal. Pushing the brake pedal too close to, or completely to the floor, over extends the internal piston and usually damages the seals. The most effective way to locate the leak would be to thoroughly clean all the brake lines of leaked brake fluid. Then with the vehicle off the ground, have someone sit in the vehicle and gently apply the brakes, while someone (technician) is under the vehicle observing where the fluid is leaking from. Inspect the hydraulic lines over the entire length of the brake system - master cylinder to each individual wheel.

Spending time to carefully locate the cause is much more cost effective than randomly replacing parts in hopes of replacing the correct one. If the leak turns out to be from one of the steel brake lines, check your local safety standards before any repair is made. Some states/countries to not allow any repairs (using compression fittings) in metal brake lines. They may require the entire metal pipe be replaced.

• Leak from pipes but can't locate, brakes not working unless pump them