Q: Fromt left collision, curtain airbag didn't deploy. Should it have? I broke the window with my head.

asked by on July 06, 2017

I was in a car accident that damaged the front left side of my car. I was going roughly 15-20mph and the other car 45-55mph. The impact caused the back of my head to slam into and break the driver's side window. I tried contacting Chevy for an answer, but did not get one. Shouldn't at least one of my airbags have deployed? The curtain airbag would have stopped my head from breaking the window.

Hi there. First and foremost, I’m glad you’re able to send this question to YourMechanic.com - as an impact like you’ve described can be fatal in some cases. In regards to the side-air bag, the way in which they deploy and the rates of impact in which they deploy are often held by the manufacturer and not common knowledge. So, unfortunately, I’m not able to provide you with exact details on whether they should or should not have deployed. In some cases, the impact must be from a certain angle in order to deploy a side-curtain airbag. I have seen defective airbag sensors on vehicles in the past, but typically there is a previous warning light that illuminates on the dashboard to alert the driver so repairs can be made. One resource you might want to consider is contacting your insurance company about this. If you’re not able to get information from GM, they very well could.