Q: I need a thermostat replaced do I need to replace the water pump as well

AutoZone said I need a new thermostat with their equipment. Do I need to have my thermostat as well a water pump replaced with it or can I do it individually

Typically, the scenario is the reverse: that is the water pump fails and the question is should the thermostat be replaced at the same time that the water pump is replaced. The answer is absolutely because the thermostat itself can be damaged if there is an episode of overheating and, of course, a water pump failure is often associated with overheating. However, if the thermostat itself is the failure, it is only recommended to replace the water pump if it requires a lot of labor to get to the thermostat AND the water pump happens to be adjacent to the thermostat housing. In practical terms, that means that if the water pump is rendered accessible because you are replacing the thermostat then, yes, as a form of cheap insurance against future breakdown, you should go ahead and change the water pump as well, while you are in there. However, if the water pump is not made "accessible" while replacing the thermostat then there is no need to replace the water pump at this time if it is functioning and not leaking. The OEM thermostat is recommended. Sometimes aftermarket thermostats do not work as intended or fit properly. If you desire that a mechanic handle the replacement, please request thermostat replacement and a certified mechanic from YourMechanic will perform the replacement and install the water pump, as well, if you desire. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. I need a thermostat replaced do I need to replace the water pump as well