Q: 2016 chevy malibu 1.5 eco tec turbo 49000 miles on it at gm dealer. just called me and said the problem is beyond the recall and h

asked by on October 16, 2017

2016 chevy malibu 1.5 eco tec turbo 49000 miles on it at gm dealer. just called me and said the problem is beyond the recall and hope you don't need your vehicle for 2-3 weeks!! they told me they need until wed to diagnose the problems.(3days) I feel gm has a major problem with these turbo engines and aren't sure how to fix them

Although there are 7 recalls on your model, none of those recalls involve the engine itself. The dealer might be referring to a special "service campaign" but those are not recalls. I do see in the NHTSA database some GM technical service bulletins relative to the turbo but nothing suggestive of a widespread problem. If your car is still under warranty keep in mind that you are protected under Federal and often state Lemon laws. If you are covered, those laws give you considerable recourse if your vehicle is not repaired by a new car dealer in a reasonable time frame. If you want an independent evaluation of an engine malfunction, feel free to book an appointment and the responding certified mechanic will investigate your issue and get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.