Q: Trouble shifting

asked by on February 20, 2016

I had problems moving between gears, so I turned it off and back on again trying to be gentle. Then it just moved too freely through the gears. I was told the car needs a new shifter linkage. My cousin tied something inside with metal picture hanging wire to keep it connected.

Hi there. Over time, the components that connect the shifter to the gearbox will wear out and eventually break. A certified technicians would be able to remove the gear box to inspect the linkage and replace anything that has been damaged. Take care driving the vehicle as the temporary fix could fail at any time leaving you stranded.