Have a 2004 mercury Monterey and it came up with a messag...

Q: Have a 2004 mercury Monterey and it came up with a message on the display saying fuel comp data error

asked by on December 22, 2016

Have a 2004 mercury Monterey and it came up with a message on the display saying fuel comp data error. The van used to have intermittent starting issues then stopped starting all together. Tryed the starter cause it wouldn't even crank, but found out it was the battery so now it cranks but acts like it isn't getting fuel. Any ideas

Hello, thank you for writing in. The vehicle will give this warning light when the computer has detected there is an issue with the fuel system. It may mean there is an electrical issue, mechanical issue, or sensor/compilation issue. The resolutions for a problem like this can range from a bad connection or ground wire, to needing a new fuel pump. The warning light means the computer has stored a diagnostic troubleshooting code. This is a good thing, and the vehicle should be able to be scanned for codes. Use these codes to find out what about the fuel system is failing. Due to the warning light being so general, this is the fastest and cheapest way to approach diagnostics. The alternative is to guess, also known as plug and chug, until you find the issue. This method tends to be very time consuming and expensive. With the vehicle unable to start or move, you will have to bring the car to a scanner, or bring the scanner to the vehicle. For more help on resolving the issue, and to dispatch a technician to your home or office, contact our service department.