Q: Fuel gauge keeps jumping back past the E on the gas reader

When I out gas in car, it reads ok on whatever I put in. But once driving from time to time , really when it's on low gas, the meter will jump back past the E and drink up gas. Then the gas tank makes popping noises. So when ever time I open gas cap , vapors shoot out like a torch

Hey, thanks for writing in. There may be two different issues at play here.

1. Your fuel gauge sending unit may be faulty which is what causes the fuel gauge to fluctuate erratically not reading correctly. This is a small float assembly inside the fuel tank that reads the fuel level and relays this to the computer which then sends this info to your gas gauge in the dash.

2. You may have a problem with your evaporation emissions system which is responsible for harnessing the fuel vapors inside the fuel tank and expelling them properly by storing them in a charcoal canister and then later released into the atmosphere by use of a purge valve. When this part of the evaporative system is not working, you may notice a large buildup of fumes which is released as you have experienced when opening your fuel cap.

If you’d like to have this looked at, I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your issue and service your fuel sending unit and evaporative emissions system as necessary. Best of luck.

3. Fuel gauge keeps jumping back past the E on the gas reader