Q: Will a worn front stabilizer bar cause shaking

asked by on February 25, 2017

Will a worn stabilizer bar link cause shaking. Wheel bearings are good and tierods are good and ball joints. I looked at the link and it has alot of play in it

Hi There, As you know, the sway bar or stabilizer bar is a steel bar that connects suspension components on opposite wheels. Its purpose is to combat body roll when a car makes a turn. It is also known as anti-roll bar, sway bar and anti-sway bar. The spring steel torsion bar is U shaped and is mounted parallel to the ground. The bottom part of the U is attached to the frame with bushings while the ends of the U are attached to the lower control arms of opposite wheel. When a car makes a sharp turn, the part of the bar on the outside of the turn gets pushed down toward the road and the part of the car on the inside of the turn rises up. This is known as roll which happens 10 to 30 degrees toward the outside of the turn. This happens as more weight is placed on the outside of the tire and less weight on the inside tires. This reduces traction which in turn interferes with steering. A stabilizer works by keeping the body of the car flat as it takes a sharp corner so that the weight is evenly distributed on all the four tires. The stabilizer bar should be checked for stiffness. This causes side to side motion in the car which affects steering and handling of the vehicle, which may cause shaking or unstable driving conditions. Failure to maintain sway bars can cause the wheels on the outside of a turn to lose contact with the road causing poor steering and handling of the vehicle. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.