Q: What Size Wiper Blades Does My Car Need?

asked by on November 23, 2015

What size wiper blades does my car need?

This is an easy question to answer since wiper blade size is tied to the original equipment manufacturers (OEM) specification for blades that clean the most surface area on the windshield with each cycle of pass from side to side. To find the right size, you simply need to go to an auto supply store and use the wiper chart provided to find the correct size of replacement wiper blades. Or you can measure the length of the existing blades and buy a set to match.

When it comes to style, there are many choices available for your vehicle from custom mount, chrome, and even a selection of colors. The wipers are available as full blades or blade inserts/refills that can be used with the existing blades. A key to selecting blades is to ensure you have the correct blade lock for your vehicle’s blade arms. Traditional frames have articulating sections that allow the blades to fit to the windshield and are one of the most common type used. Winter blades shield the arm mechanism from snow and ice to help maintain proper contact of the blade with the windshield. Premium beam style are an all-in-one molded blade and support that works without the normal frame associated with traditional blades. Blades also come in styles for curved windshields, and flat windshields for older antique vehicles.

As far as the attachment points, the most common styles are the side post, the bayonet style and the J hook. As the mounting holds the blades in place when installed, the correct style is important to proper operation and blade life. Blades that tear, or break free of their mount can scrape the windshield and put a permanent score line in the glass. Most wiper blade kits come with multiple mount adapters to ensure you have the correct mount for your application.

If you run into any problems with your wipers, feel free to reach out to a certified mechanic who can replace your wiper blades hassle free.