Q: How to make a 2004 Scion xB a smoother ride

asked by on June 08, 2016

2004 Scion XB. My car is a stiff ride. I've changed all shocks a year ago. The car has 82,000 miles. What is the best thing to do to have a smoother ride?

Those Scion’s are rough riding cars. A lot of people don’t realize that the number one shock absorbers on their vehicles are the tires. Since tires are rubber and full of air, they end up absorbing majority of the shock when you hit bumps.

The problem with a lot of Scions is that a lot of them are equipped with low-profile tires. Low profile means hardly any sidewall and it’s the sidewall flex that absorbs shocks. If you get in a bigger car, that’s got big sidewalls, it’s one of the reasons they ride smoother.

Low-profile tires are fantastic for race car drivers. They don’t want to lose any drift. They don’t want any kind of slippage when they are cornering and taking off. If you’ve never driven a race car, you’re able to feel every bump. Sometimes the feeling is so intense that it feels like your teeth might fall off and you might swallow them. They ride horribly, so you might want to consider getting better tires for that thing, it will often lead a better ride. Go to a tire place and say, "What are the best tires that I can have that are going to give me a smoothest ride and aren’t too low profile?". They’ll be able to help sort you out.

However, if you’d like a second opinion on this, consider having your car looked a by a certified technician who can inspect your suspension system and tires to ensure that your car is driving like it should.