Q: one of the rocker arms needs to be replaced

asked by on March 02, 2017

I am thinking about investing in a 2002 ford explorer with 200,000 miles that needs a rocker arm replacement.It is only vibrating on one side (can't remember if its the left or the right) The dealer that I'm buying it from is going to replace the arm and then is willing to sell it to me for $2000.I'm going by what he told me and I'm supposed to test drive it tomorrow.I'm wondering if this is a good investment. Is there a guarantee that something won't go wrong with the same arm again, or even the 2nd one?

Hi there. With 200,000 miles on a 2002 Ford Explorer, I am seriously doubtful that any warranty will exist. You will probably have to purchase "as is" and take your chances. One thing to be aware of is that if the rocker arm is damaged, it is likely that the push rod or other valve train hardware is also faulty. For $2,000 this car might be a good daily driver, but nothing more.