Q: My 1992 Saturn SL2 keeps dying unexpectedly

I'vmy car kept dying on me in the middle of anywhere... we've recently replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, new alternator and battery. It fires right up but then after it sits or if I start to drive it, it does the same damn thing!! Also, my fuel gauge doesn't work now and it did before...hmm.. My husband and son both are stumped. We can't afford a mechanic so I'm asking on here, " what's wrong with my car?" Thank you

A: Hello there, first thing to check of course...

Hello there, first thing to check of course is the fuel pump fuse and relay - the relay especially. Check relay voltage to the fuel pump while it’s running. The relay can test OK, but have burned contacts from age, and do not pass enough current to run the fuel pump. There may be a problem with the ground for both the fuel pump and the fuel level sender - they share a ground. Make sure the fuel tank vent is not clogged, if so, it will eventually have enough vacuum in it to cause fuel pressure to run low. It is also possible, given the "heat soak" symptom (car sits, then won’t run), that your ignition module is failing. This is a common failure mode. If the problem persists, I recommend booking an appointment with a professional from YourMechanic look at your fuel pump relay.