Q: Exhaust smell in cabin while idling

The piston rings were replaced, airbags replaced and air conditioner repaired on this car in August, since then there has been a strong exhaust smell in the cabin when idling. Car has been to the dealer 4 times for repair. It is now winter and I have to open the windows. Car passed emissions test, smell seems to be coming from the engine. Dealer replaced cabin air filter, smell still persists. They claim they can't replicate it so they can't fix it. Noticed the smell on the way home from the last trip to the dealer. Any ideas?

Since you just had major engine repairs done and the exhaust system was disconnected and the manifolds were removed then you may have an exhaust leaking into the interior. You should have the a/c on recirculate air and not outside air to see if it helps not pulling n the exhaust fumes. Have the exhaust checked to see is it is leaking and fix the leak. If the dealer says it does not have a leak then have an independent mechanic or shop like one from YourMechanic to recheck the system for you.