Q: How to manually trigger limp mode on my 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier.

asked by on March 12, 2017

I'm a high school graduate, class of 2011, and I took Automotive Technology through the entire duration of both my Junior and Senior years. I remember something about holding the brake pedal and turning the steering wheel to lock, I believe it was the left, then starting the engine to manually engage the ECU's Limp-In mode. I remember being required to do this in order to troubleshoot problems with the engine that the computer couldn't report, such as anything that could cause the engine to fail to run while Limp-In mode was active. I need to know how to engage and disengage limp-in mode manually for testing, without harming or replacing anything.

Hello. On your vehicle there is no limp mode trigger that is used for diagnostics. On some newer vehicles this is something that is part of the diagnostic process but not on a 2002. The only way to fully read all diagnostic codes in your car is with a computer scan tool that is fully capable with Tech II capabilities.