Q: When I start the car it's turns over but sounds like it's struggling to do so.

asked by on August 23, 2017

My car seems to be struggling to turn over. Even though it does turn over. We put a new battery in and had starter check. During an oil change the Dealer ship said starter was good but the battery wasn't getting enough ramp. So we got battery replace and it's still continues. Nothing is lightening up on dash board. So confused !what is going on with my car?

Alternator Replacement $151.38 - $1197.14 Get a Quote

It sounds like you may have a failing voltage regulator or failing alternator. As you may know, the alternator charges the battery while the engine runs by generating amperage and recharging the battery while the engine turns the alternator pulley. The voltage regulator is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator and maintaining a certain amperage while the engine runs. When the alternator is not working properly, this may result in the battery quickly losing charge and the car losing all power. You may also notice a whining sound as a result of the bearings inside the alternator begin to fail. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your charging system.