Q: My car Is leaking transmission fluid.

asked by on February 08, 2017

As I noticed, my car needed two new cv axles, both in front left and right. Everything was fine, everything ran perfectly fine. The day of that I changed my cv axles, i had to bang the passenger side cv axle with a mallet to take it out. I then inserted the new one. After that I was driving to school only to feel my transmission slip and my rpm not meeting up with my acceleration. We added oil and noticed it was leaking when I got back home from school. It only leaks when I drive the car. Not in park or off. We changed the seal but it still had no effect. Less of a leak yes but still leaking. Note: this started happening after I replaced my cv axles. I am very confused and need help. Please get back to me.

Axle Shaft Seal Replacement $112.63 - $3844.32 Get a Quote

If the output shaft seal (where the seal engages the inboard CV segment) is leaking even though the seal is new the possible causes of the leak are: wrong seal; seal is cocked in the bore, not properly positioned or was damaged during installation; the bushing or bearing supporting the inboard segment of the axle is excessively worn allowing leakage past the seal; or there is a groove worn in the seal surface. Both left and right seals should be changed of course. If you desire that this problem be diagnosed and repaired by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an axle shaft seal inspection/repair and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr