Q: Car Inspection for Driving1500 Miles in 4 days

asked by on December 16, 2016

Hi ,

I have 2007 accord, planning to go on road trip . The drive is 1800 miles in 3 days.Do need a car inspection before I go on road trip and is it fine to take 10 year old car for long drive ?

Hello, thank you for writing in. Taking a ten year old car on a that long of a trip should be fine as long as the vehicle is in good condition. There are absolutely a few steps you should take before you go. Start with the fluids in the vehicle. Make sure you have fresh oil and an oil filter. Make sure you check the coolant, brake fluid, and transmission fluid levels if capable. You will want to make sure all blinkers, headlights, tale lights, brake lights, and high beams are working perfectly. The suspension should be given at least a quick visual inspection to make sure no bushings or joints are blown out. And lastly the tread depth on the tires should be checked. If it is lower that around 1/3 of tire life expectancy, you should consider replacing them before a trip that long. If they are fine, then make sure they are properly inflated. The last recommendation for you is to keep the gas tank above 1/2 tank when traveling, as you get better gas mileage. The vehicle is tuned to work better with the weight of a full tank, and is most efficient that way. For a complete 75-point safety inspection contact our service department to come to your home or office.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr