Q: Is there a way to stop all of my paint from chipping off?

I am really worried about the resale value of my 2009 Hyundai Sonata since the paint started chipping off all over the place. The paint looked great new but now, at 80,000 miles, there are chips missing all over the front bumper and hood. It looks ugly and I cannot afford to repaint the whole thing. What should I do?

There have been many owners of all different car lines and manufactures with this same complaint of paint chipping and peeling conditions. I have not found anything specific to your manufacturer for a fix to your chipping issue. My suggestion would be to consult a body paint specialist in your area to check your paint chipping problem. I would suspect you have a problem with the outer paint coat not binding to the primer coat and can be due to the manufacturers improper prep of the primer before top coat or the primer and top coat paints are incompatible with each other. Complete stripping of all the paint in affected areas and repaint them completely would be needed to permanently fix the chipping issue. Another alternative would be for you to have each chip touched up. This will not look that good and would only be a temporary fix to the problem and keep surface rust from forming on bare metal surfaces. If a front car cover is available for your car, you could get the touch up done and put this on and it would cover areas of damage and would be less costly than a complete repaint.

3. Is there a way to stop all of my paint from chipping off?