Q: I drove home with the oil light on. Is my engine still good?

Last week i was driving an red oil light came on I drove it about 5 miles to get home and got it towed to a mechanic he told me the oil pump failed he checked oil filter said there was no metal shavings in it and they did a compression test there is low compression in one cylinder

It’s very likely that you’ve done some serious engine damage. Normally oil is continuously pumped through all of the turning and sliding surfaces of the engine and when the pressure goes, it doesn’t take long to damage the precision ground surfaces of the moving parts. Now you have a decision to make. Repairing the failed oil pump is going to cost you some money, and you have to repair it before you can run the engine to see how it sounds. You might fix the oil pump and when you start the engine it may knock and rattle like a freight train, meaning you have extensive damage that needs to be repaired. So it’s a gamble, You need to find out what it’s going to take to get it running in order to decide if you want to invest that money in an engine that might turn out to need replacement. There’s no easy way to make this call, but if your car is at home, you can contact Your Mechanic to have a technician come to your home and check out your BMW and give you another opinion.