Q: Car not shifting correctly

My car is not going into reverse. First gear is down where Reverse should be; Second is hard to get into. The tachometer works intermittently.

A: The gear shifting mechanism or cables are c...

The gear shifting mechanism or cables are causing a problem due to a bad bushing, or lever out of adjustment. If all the cables and bushings are okay, then you possibly have an inside shift fork problem. The cables should be inspected before the inside transmission forks are looked at. I recommend having a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, determine the source and cause of your shifting issue, and recommend a path to repair.