Q: Is it bad to drive a car that needs a valve adjustment?

My 1997 Honda crv needs a valve adjustment, it idles rough and the engine feels like its loses power periodically as I'm driving. At one point it was making a clacking sound but it stopped. I can't get the car into the shop until Thursday, should I not be driving it at all or can I go short distances? It's already endured a 4 hour drive with these issues happening, that was when they first started. I just want to be able to take it to the grocery store and the gym each day which is not that far from my house but I'm concerned about causing more damage and having more costly repairs.

Hi there. If the valvetrain is out of adjustment or the lifters are stuck and making a tapping noise on the top of the engine, then that could damage the engine when driven. I recommend changing the engine oil and filter to help clean the lifters and clean the engine. If the engine is still having the valvetrain out or adjustment, then I suggest repairing the valvetrain and replacing the lifters. If you need further assistance with your engine having a loss of power, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Is it bad to drive a car that needs a valve adjustment?