Q: Toyota celica with engine replaced

I want to buy a car from a guy who said he replaced the engine with a similar one, same model. My question is, wasn't he suppossed to change the gearbox too along with the engine, or if it's the same model, do they fit perfectly?

The 7th generation Toyota Celica was in production from 1999 until 2006 so I am going to assume that your Toyota also falls into this time frame.

The engine in your Celica is the 1ZZ-FE, which is a motor code used to identify the engine. This engine was used not only in the Celica but also the Corolla and RAV4. The transmissions will all have the same bolt pattern to accomadate these engines, even if the engine originally came from something different than your Celica.

If your transmission is in good working order, it is not necessary to replace it. The 2001 Toyota Celica does have a common issue with misfires, so if your vehicle is a 2001, it could be likely that the previous owner did in fact replace the engine with a different year or model to ensure there are no future problems.

Check out this link if you are curious to read more about your engine and the other models that use it.

3. Toyota celica with engine replaced